SC - Re: US bars UK

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Dec 8 10:43:04 PST 2000

In a message dated 12/05/2000 11:09:22 PM EST, wandapease at bigfoot.com writes:

<< Going to a small village
 in France, Germany, or even England and looking for food around lunchtime
 can be an exercise in futility.  >>

I've always wondered why in Britain oftentimes cafes and restaurants etc open
for lunch then close their doors through the afternoon and open again at 5 or
something (something historical maybe?).  It seems a shame they stick to
this, and I really don't understand why it persists as it has always seemed
to me that shoppers might want to stop for bite to eat at any time during the
afternoon, and the cafes would make more money if they catered to that - I
would have thought anyway.  It can be really hard sometimes to find somewhere
for a meal at 2pm!

I do know there are British places that do stay open through the day, pubs
for instance, or tea rooms sometimes, but sometimes one does have to hunt
them out, and they don't always serve a "meal"as such.

Having said this though, I'd still go for somewhere that serves the local
food and drink rather than looking for the familiar e.g. McDonalds when
travelling.  It's part of the adventure to me.   :-)

Elysant