SC - Non-member submission - RE: Saffron

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Dec 8 10:57:11 PST 2000

I obtained some clotted cream (commercial - in a jar) yesterday.

So I conducted a little taste test since I have some medieval recipes calling for clotted cream.  It tasted exactly like the homemade butter you can make by shaking heavy whipping cream(for what seems like forever), or unsalted butter (available in the freezer section of your grocery store).

It does not taste anything like the clotted cream which is made essentially like evaporated milk.  IE: cream set near an oven vent which is set on low heat (250 degrees) for overnight.  Now, that cream which does get a very thick skin on top, tastes a lot like evaporated milk.

Which is the most period? The commerical stuff or the top-of-oven stuff?  Probably the top-of-oven stuff.  How would I make a substitution for it out of modern ingredients?  I would use unsalted butter (for the appropriate texture) and a tablespoon or two of evaporated milk (for the appropriate flavor).

Has anyone else tried making clotted cream or substituting for it?

Kateryn de Develyn