SC - Sauce for Sausage?

grizly@mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 8 15:01:41 PST 2000

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) kindly wrote:
>Santich calls the recipe "Cabbage with fennel and apple" - I'd forgotten it
>also included fennel.  It's from Libro Della Cocina:

SNIP RECIPE and other interesting details

After mulling over what cabbage to use and conferring with some SCA
elders, i'm doing this one. Even though we're drinking spiced apple
juice, and eating gingered apples in the first course, where this
dish will appear, and onions and apples, and pork with cider sauce
(and 2 others) in the second course.

>Full reference: Barbara Santich, The Original Mediterranean Cuisine:
>Medieval Recipes for Today, 1995, Chicago Review Press.

A ransacking of my "craft" room (the breakfast nook), where i keep my
sewing and handcraft stuff, and craft and cookbooks, has NOT turned
up Santich. Aargh!

Can anyone tell me what is the date, or at least century, of the
Libro Della Cocina this recipe comes from. I'm assuming it's
"Italian", but since Italy didn't exist then, is the region mentioned?

I'm printing out all the original recipes with sources so my helpers,
mostly younglings from the local College, can see where this stuff
comes from.

Thanks,
Anahita

I had to fob off the 40 lbs of boned and skinned pork legs onto a
friend since my fridge-'n'-freezer is FULL!