SC - Nanna's Smoked Lamb? was Dishes made by the whole family

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Dec 8 18:23:11 PST 2000

"Michael F. Gunter" wrote:

> > As for Chef!, (one of my favorite shows), in that particular episode,
> > remember that Gareth and Everton had to search all over for Stilton cheese
> > to keep the meal totally English authentic!
>
> Was it English food for just the competition? I seem to recall that they served
> French food in the restaurant.

They served fine food, primarily French, in the restaurant, but included
some classic British ingredients, such as smoked trout, smoked salmon,
and the previously mentioned "real, old-fashioned, unpasteurised,
illegal, down-and-dirty" Stilton cheese. This was for a special meal for
a French chef and food writer, an old mentor of Gareth's, IIRC, who had
a knack for ordering the weakest, most pretentious and least substantial
menu item. I think he also held six Michelin stars. Essentially the
greatest [recognized] chef on Earth.

> But I never got to watch as many episodes as I wanted to so I'm no expert in
> the show.
>
> > Remember the band-aid episode??
>
> Um...no.

Everton lost a Band-Aid, a.k.a. a "wound plahster", somewhere in one of
several suspect dishes he'd worked on, and despite the regulation about
using bright blue plasters to make them easy to find, used  an ordinary
brown-beige one. It was either in the foie-gras milles-feuille, the
ravioli... or somewhere, but it was clear that whatever this French chef
ordered or was served, it would end up on his plate unless it was found first.

I myself have never used a bright blue plaster, but it makes sense; as
George Carlin used to remark, there are really no truly blue foods. I
used to use Superman Band-Aids, myself.

Naturally, the plaster that was eventually found in the soap-dish in the
rest room was not, in fact, Everton's, and of course it ended up
someplace interesting.

In the same episode, there was a wonderful subplot about detectives
staking out the dairy farm where Gareth goes to buy the illegal Stilton,
but which also has a sideline in agricultural produce of an illegal
nature. Naturally, they see fit to put a tail on the expensively-dressed
young black man seen leaving the farm and packing a bundle into his
Jaguar. Now, of course the bundle _really is_ of an illegal nature, just
not what they think it is...

After that it gets pretty complex... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com