SC - Sandwiches

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 06:12:11 PST 2000

UlfR asked:
> I just bought some saffron and ceylon cinnamon from the local spiceshop,
>
> and just had a thought: anyone know anything about the different grades
> of saffron? They called what I bought "coupe", but I honestly have no
> deep insight into how you tell them apart, etc. Anyone?

Well, er, yes. Saffron and Cinnamon have been discussed here numerous
times. Check these files in "you know where". :-) The PLANTS, HERBS AND
SPICES section:
saffron-art       (16K)  8/11/97    How to buy and select saffron by
Tony Hill.
saffron-msg       (53K) 12/21/99    Types of saffron. period uses.

> Actually, I've seen different claims regarding cinnamon as well (double
> or single rolls).

Sounds like Cassia vs. true Cinnamon. Check these files.

cinnamon-msg      (23K)  5/19/00    Period cinnamon. Types of cinnamon.
Cinnamon-Vari-art  (9K) 12/29/99    "Cinnamon Varieties" by Francesco Sirene.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net