SC - sea otter

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Sun Dec 10 19:36:27 PST 2000

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir wrote:

> Adamantius wrote:
>

> >Sea birds will often acquire a distinct flavor of fat fish, mackerel,
> >herring, etc.; it's been recommended if you're going to eat them to trap
> >them live and feed them grain for a while. It occurred to me that sea
> >otters might prove similarly fishy in flavor. Not having eaten one,
> >though, I couldn't say for sure.
>
> Oh dear. Recommended by whom?

Quoted in Simon's Concise Encyclopedia of Gastronomy, probably some
English traveller and diarist, and probably someone not used to eating
seabirds. Yes, obviously the method isn't appropriate for what you're
talking about, but then the person in question probably never thought in
those terms either. On the other hand, someone not used to eating such
birds might find the fishy flavor more pronounced, or at least more
noticable, than would someone living in an area with a sea-bird
harvesting industry. I believe he mentions a soak in milk as well,
either instead of, or in addition to, the grain feeding/purging.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com