SC - RE: period parsnip recipes

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Mon Dec 11 08:27:08 PST 2000

Stefan asked:
>Do you know if any of this lamb is exported? Now-a-days it seems that
>most meats are only lightly smoked, more to give a bit of flavor than
>any real preservation. I've never had smoked lamb and never any meats
>done this way. I'm not sure I will like it, but it might be worth
>trying it.

Smoked lamb, hangikjöt, is not exported commercially as far as I know but
tons of it are mailed to Icelanders all over the globe in the weeks before
Christmas. It is not very salty if properly made (but I´ve been getting far
too much oversalted hangikjöt in recent years). I serve it in two different
ways at Christmas; on Christmas day it is served cold, sliced, with boiled
potatoes in a béchamel sauce, marrowfat peas, the leaf bread and some
butter.  (So Christmas day means hardly any cooking at all for me.) On
Þorláksmessa (St. Thorlak´s Day, Dec. 23rd) raw, thinly sliced hangikjöt is
one of the dishes at my famous Christmas party. For that treatment, you need
good-quality traditionally smoked meat; lightly smoked just won´t do.

Nanna