SC - RE: period parsnip recipes

E. Rain raghead at liripipe.com
Mon Dec 11 08:27:08 PST 2000

I came across a recipe for Parsnips in Sent sovi last night.  Bearing in
mind that no only do I not read medieval catalan, I don't even read medieval
spanish here's what my various dictionaries and a good knowledge of medieval
cooking italian got me.

>From the Grewe edition of Sent Sovi  P. 139
To make Pasternakes with Almond Milk
Take white pasternakes and put to cook.  and when they are well cooked
remove them and put them in cold water, and [peel?] them.  And when they are
blanched put them in 2 platters with which do cheese.  And if it [troubles a
heart???] turn out [the one?].  and then press them, take a good martar and
pound them well, and put them to cook with much broth and with salt pork of
that which you like, and cook them in the way of courds.  And when they give
to be cooked take milk of almonds which was made with the mest broth you
have and mix it in.  And with it cheese deliver  have sliced,  and if you
want, it won't lack if you use sheeps milk instead of almonds.

Again, this is not a legit translation, [PLEASE do not use it for a dish &
then tell people it's period!] as you can see it has big holes in it and it
may have MAJOR errors, I was just trying to get an idea of whether or not it
was worth having translated properly by someone else :->

Eden - who will stick with Italian translation thank you just the same...
WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com