SC - Well you were so much help with the other...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 15 11:47:27 PST 2000

Hi,
the only reason I knew what this was is I saw one on
one of the cooking shows. The one they had looked like
 basicaly a huge lemon squeezer. (the kind that is
verticle and on a stand) But they made the dish that
is described in the other post. But they dont make
these anymore, and he had extra pieces in case his got
broken. He used it on a regular basis in teh
resturant. I believe the place they werein was in
germany or austria. But It was interesteing anyway.
nisha

 Umm. Do I really want to ask this...? What is a duck
press? and what
> is it used for? Is this really something you put
chunks of duck meat
> into, to squish them flat or something? Maybe this
gets rid of all
the
> grease in ducks?

This is primarily a 19th-early-20th-century French
haute cuisine
thing... there is a preparation called, IIRC, canard
au sang, loosely
translated, "bloody duck". Since waterfowl aren't
subject to salmonella
and such, their meat doesn't have to be cooked to the
same stage of
doneness as, say, chicken or turkey. Duck au sang is
made by roasting a
duck rare taking the carved carcass and
squeezing/crushing
it in a duck press to extract a rich, red juice which
isn't actually
blood, but looks a bit like it.