SC - Maraschino Cherries and Spices

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at home.com
Fri Dec 15 12:21:10 PST 2000

Since the word lemon derives from the Persian "limun," I would have expected
Persian lemons to be just that lemons from Persia, I suppose the name is a
marketing ploy.  What I think you may have are pomelos (AKA, pumelo,
pummelo, shaddock, etc.) scientifically known a Citrus maximus or C.
grandis.  They are a sweet, thick rind citrus fruit originally from SE Asia.
There were imported into the West Indies, allegedly by a sea captain named
Shaddock.  A hybridization of unknown origin produced the grapefruit.

Take a gander at this URL, and see if your Persian lemons are similar to the
illustration.  I will say that these pumelos are greener than most I have
seen.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/plant/agidaid/page35.htm

Bear