SC - perogie presses

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 19 09:02:31 PST 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:27:38 -0500 Gwendolen Lambert
<LdyM at mindspring.com> writes:
> For those of you that feel it is their obligation to criticize fellow
> members of the SCA with respect to the Food Fantasy segment, please
> learn your facts before passing your judgment on these gentles.
<snip>
> To set the record straight, it was the program that contacted the
> SCA, not the other way around.  The SCA had nothing to do with the
planning of the show, the preparation of the food (or  what was served),
or the editing.  The sum of the involvement of these  gentles was to show
up in finest garb, look pretty for the camera, eat the food  and act like
it was the most delicious thing they ever tasted.
<snip>
> So, for those of you that want to find fault in other gentles, I
> humbly ask that you please keep in mind that some of us on this list do
NOT
> have your expertise and are here to learn.
> Lady Gwendolen Lambert, Seneschal
> Canton of Forestgate, East Kingdom
<snip>
Christianna, I guess you weren't on the list when this first came up,
with
the Food Network contacting the SCA about doing a medieval show. So you
wouldn't know that they didn't 'have to get FoodTV to put on a feast for
them' -- they were asked by FoodTV to participate in a segment on
medieval
food. Shows how misleading TV can be.
Jadwiga

	Whoa, I did not set out to criticize SCA folks, or Food TV, and not
really even the chef.  I watched the show, and they showed the folks with
the Food Fantasy, and explained that they were members of the Society for
Creative Anachronism, which recreated the middle ages blah, blah, blah.
They had garb, which they explained to the camera, and showed the inside
of their house, with scrolls on the walls and I believe a roll of duct
tape in the background.  ;)  Her Food Fantasy was to have a 'real'
medieval feast and be Lord and Lady for the Day.   I was around for the
original discussion and do remember the comments about how Food TV  was
trying to get folks at the last minute, in the middle of the week, and
weren't interested in having any help from the SCA folks other than to be
atmosphere.
	As I recall, I said complimentary things about the SCA folks who
attended the dinner as 'local color', I thought it looked like they were
doing a demo, which is how I would approach it in the same place, I
suspect.  I knew it was a TV show, and wasn't expecting much, in fact,
they did a nice job with the setting and service and it looked like
everyone had a good time.
	My only question was, how come these SCA folks (the ones featured with
the fantasy) had to approach Food TV to get them to put on a feast for
them?   My only thought on the matter is perhaps they wanted to be
featured at the high table for the day, or maybe they wanted to see what
Food TV would do with the theme they enjoyed in the SCA.  I am sorry if
it sounded like I was going off on anyone in the episode, I wasn't
really, even if I did say the Italian-named-Frech-chef made food that
looked like a Victorian's idea of what haute cuisine might look like with
a medieval flair.  (Well, it did.)
	The local SCA  group has a national television exposure that shows them
in a positive light, on a show that specializes in showing off unusual
themes.  Good for them.  The folks in the SCA who had their Food Fantasy
put on by FTV looked full, pampered, and totally happy.  The chef has
something to add to his resume.  Everyone is happy, and there is no need
to rip the show apart or for anyone to get upset and defend their
participation in the program.
	Hoping that cleared things up,
	Christianna