SC - Goya bitter orange juice

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Dec 19 22:46:56 PST 2000

Admantius replied to me:
> >   I'm not even quite sure what a "clary" is, so I probably
> > don't have much material on this type of drink in the Florilegium.
>
> Heh heh heh heh heh!!! Stefan, I can't pass up this chance!
>
> I'm almost certain we discussed clary before on this list; in fact, I
> _am_ certain. Are you sure it isn't in the Florilegium under "spiced
> wines"? Seriously, I believe we discussed the difference between clary
> and hypocras as described in early English sources like the Two
> Anglo-Norman MSs published by Connie Hieatt, and whether or not those
> differences applied across the board in other sources.
>
> Vicente's non-alcoholic clary may be based on some kind of unfermented
> mead or hydromel, if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Ok, I guess I was mis-remembering. I was thinking "clary" was one of the
drinks with egg mixed in. Someday I will get a decent search engine.
However, the only message I find in my spiced-wine file is the one below.
I've enclosed it just in case others might be interested. I'm not sure
why I don't have more info. Maybe I didn't realize when the discussion
was going on that they were as early as the Anglo-Norman MSs  and thought
they were as non-period (or more) than this one, so didn't include them.

I'd still like to see Vicente's clary recipe and redaction. I don't think
he said it was non-alcoholic. That was just my assumption from assuming
it was one of the 'egg' beverages.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net