SC - Off Topic: Muggles for Harry Potter

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Thu Dec 21 08:46:01 PST 2000

>My appologies for not quoting the message, but I accidentally erased the
>digest. :-( Someone was asking about whether in period they washed the
>fleece before spinnning it to remove the lanolin. I remember some
>discussions
>on why they would not want to do this. For instance, leaving the lanolin
>in will make a much more water-resistant piece of clothing.

>In the TEXTILE ARTS section:
>spinning-msg      (52K)  6/23/00    Spinning wheels, spindles. techniques.
>wool-clean-msg    (23K)  6/16/95    Cleaning wool before spinning.
>   (This last is mostly on using modern methods such as washing machines to
>clean fleeces. --
>THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

Hmm.  Slightly on this topic, and I shall check the Flori-thingy, but has
anyone got a suggestion on what to do with old, dirty, flattened and matted
fleeces?  I have a couple of really old sheepskins that are in awful
condition.  I used to toss them in the washer but am afraid they couldn't
make another trip there.  I hate to toss them out because I use them (mostly
for camping) alot and they would be expensive to replace.

Speaking of sheep...and on food topic...I have a lamb leg quarter to prepare
for household 12th night on the 30th.  Anyone have a good recipe?  I am also
making a baked brie.  The price of brie came down even further at the
Restaurant Depot.  Yesterday I paid $5.23 for a kilo wheel.  Yippie!

Olwen