SC - OOP - OT - Professional chef apprenticeships?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Sat Dec 23 06:24:36 PST 2000

In looking through a book I purchased today, "Mexican Cooking for Dummies",
I noticed they gave this substitution for Seville Oranges. While it is
better to have the real thing, sometimes you need to make a substitution,
so I thought some might find this useful.

2 parts grapefruit juice
1 part orange juice
2 tablespoons lime juice

While in World Market today I noticed they sold tubs that were for
making Seville Orange Marmalade. The tub said it had everything needed
but sugar. The tub listed Seville Orange juice but also had several
thickeners in it, so I wasn't sure if it would work in the period recipes
calling for Seville Orange juice or not. I will have to take more notes next
time I'm in the store on the exact ingredients.

The book also says about Seville Oranges "Also known as bitter oranges
or naranja agria, this small fruit has thick, green, bumpy skin and is
less juicy than an ordinary orange. Its potent sour juice replaces vinegar
in typical Yucatecan marinades and seasoning pastes. Although bitter
oranges are also found in Puerto Rico and Cuba [obviously an import from
Spain], only Mexicans prize the juice more than the fleshy skin. At
Mexican markets, the fruit is sold with the top layer of skin removed
so that the bitter oils don't seep into the juice."

What would you do with the skins? Make candied orange peel? I don't
remember the Seville Oranges that I've bought fresh being green, although
I would have said greenish orange rather than bright green. I wonder if
you would pick them green if you were wanting to accentuate the sour
taste? The ones I got were more "bumpy" than regular oranges which
tend to have a smoother skin.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net