SC - no longer Re: Taillevent bio

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 28 22:26:04 PST 2000

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa asked:
> Now, how about some suggestions for period foods that modern eaters would
> percieve as 'breakfast' foods? I've tried the Orange Omelette and didn't
> find it palatable, but I'm definitely looking at Hanoney (eggs with
> onions, what's not to like?), Carbonara, rice pudding, and plum mousse.
> And of course bread. Other suggestions?

Well, here are some ideas and the files in the Florilegium where more info
can be found:
various egg dishes - in the FOOD section:
eggs-msg         (125K)  7/26/00    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.

pancakes, waffles, wafers, donuts, French Toast - in the FOOD-BREADS section:
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                       Christianna MacGrain.
French-Toast-msg  (21K) 10/12/00    Period French Toast. Recipes.
fried-breads-msg  (20K)  1/11/00    Period fried breads. Funnel cakes, donuts.
pancakes-msg      (18K)  8/28/00    Period pancakes and pancake-like foods.
  (i've got more to be put in here, but I'm having trouble dividing it between
wafers-msg, pancakes-msg and maybe a new one on waffles-msg)
wafers-msg        (59K)  7/28/00    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.

Others. sausages, some pastries (hmmm. is Apple strudel period?), ham or
bacon, some fish - all of these in the FOOD section:
sausages-msg     (104K) 10/31/00    Period sausages. Making sausage.
sausage-makng-msg (28K) 10/31/00    Sausage making techniques. Supplies.
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (11K) 12/17/99    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.
pastries-msg     (105K)  4/ 3/00    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
ham-msg           (26K)  1/ 4/00    Period ham. Modern sources. Recipes.
stockfish-msg     (93K) 12/12/00    Period preserved fish. Dried, smoked
and
                                       salted fish. Recipes.
  (Well, maybe not dried fish as-is, but pickled or kippered fish?)
salmon-msg        (41K)  5/26/00    Period use of Salmon. Recipes.
polenta-msg       (15K) 11/19/99    Period polenta. Wheat and maize polenta.
   (Well, some might go for this)

fresh or prepared fruits? - check the FOOD-FRUITS section.

Some might also say beer and pizza, both of which I've also got files
on. But I think that's pretty disgusting for breakfast. :-)

Well, I guess that should get you some starting points.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net