SC - Toad in the Hole

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 13 21:00:24 PST 2000

margali wrote:

> although due to the prevalence of dried eggs, dried milk, fresh bread
> and dried beef while in the field he refuses to eat french toast, shit
> on a shingle, scrambled eggs....hmmm ;-)

Not too surprising. My late father served for a while as the "warden"
for a PW camp of German prisoners in Normandy in 1944, and it was his
practice to eat breakfast in the PW camp, the meals being cooked by
prisoners from U.S. Army rations.

One morning, he asked the cooks where they had come by the fresh eggs.
These were just too good to be powdered eggs. Definitely fresh. They
denied having any, and said it was the regular Army powdered eggs, just
like always. Now my Dad, who had seen U.S. Army cooks stirring the
breakfast powdered eggs in galvanized steel washtubs with a shovel,
asked the German cooks exactly how they had prepared these eggs. They
responded that they had had one of their number, who spoke and read some
English, read the instructions printed on the packaging, translated them
into German, and then they followed them exactly...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com