SC - Cleaning a Fleece

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 26 04:47:48 PST 2000

Since I also spin, I have several tricks about this.  Remember that fleece
is basically hair, still stuck to the skin.  So, you can use a gentle
shampoo and warm (NOT HOT) water in a bathtub.  Work gently so the fleece is
not further matted.  You can try applying a conditioner and/or creme rinse
after you have rinsed out all the shampoo (this also works well for
softening itchy wool shirts and sweaters and such) and if you have enough
time, comb out some of those mattings you've worked into the fleece.

Fleece, or any animal fiber, mats into felt by a combination of heat,
moisture, and rubbing.  The heat and moisture relax the hairs and this
causes their scales to loosen, so that when the hairs are rubbed the scales
catch on each other.  When the heat and moisture go away, the scales tighten
up and you get mattings and felt.

To keep this on topic, I will mention that it is VERY hard, to my disgust,
to find lamb in Ansteorra.  I spent many years in Chicago, which has a high
Greek population and I could get lamb any time of the year, in almost any
quantity (sometimes you had to order ahead for a leg, but there were always
steaks and ground lamb available).  Here I just see very expensive cyropaks.
I do like beef, but occasionally want something lamb.  Any suggestions,
other than stocking the freezer when I see a deal?

BTW, among my offerings next Lillies War (I cook for our camp and anybody
who wanders by looking hungry, about fifty or so persons) may be a Hopi lamb
stew, with hominy and such.  I've tried to do lamb for the last three years
without success as it's impossible to find in June anyplace south of
Chicago, apparently.  We're freezing precut lamb for the meal.  My camp is
not overly period most of the time, especially since the children have
become more vocal about not liking things.  *sigh*

                                        ---= Morgan