SC - Need some definitions

Wed Dec 27 14:47:47 PST 2000

The Butler besides running the wine cellars was responsible for the order,
purchase, storage and dispensing of all beverages.

The Pantler was responsible for ordering, purchasing, storing and dispensing
bread.  The Pantler or a Carver might be responsible for preparing the
loaves for service.

The brewers, vintners, mazers and bakers produced these goods if the estate
could maintain them, and they were responsible for meeting the household
production needs.  Their finished products were turned over to the Butler
and the Pantler for accounting, storage and provision to the hall.  It was
an arrangement to reduce wastage and peculation.

In turn, the accounts of the Butler and the Pantler would be audited and
paid by the Clerk of the Wardrobe.

Bear