SC - Need some definitions

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Dec 27 15:29:07 PST 2000

Ok, so here are the jobs I've got for the average MA kitchen.  I have
seen Clerk of the Kitchen used in the same way Bear used Clerk of the
Wardrobe, and also in what I would consider the Steward's position. Is
this just regional/time difference?
Christianna

        Steward - procurer for the kitchen, often kept the books as well
as oversaw
        the payment of the household staff,
        Cook - in charge of food preservation, preparation, and
supervision of
         kitchen staff
                     Pantler - was responsible for ordering, purchasing,
storing and dispensing
                     bread.  The Pantler or a Carver might be responsible
for preparing the
         loaves for service.
         Laverer - in charge of handwashing
        	         Butler - besides running the wine cellars was
responsible for the order,
         purchase, storage and dispensing of all beverages.
         Carver - in charge of carving meats and possibly breads