Lurkers (was Re: SC - RE:What would you do?)

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Thu Dec 28 21:22:51 PST 2000

[much snippage]
> Once again, we appreciate all comments, especially since my daughter
> and I are horrendous lurkers, thank you so much for your time. Happy New Year
>
> Giulianna Irene Arentino
> Ottavia Alessandra de Medicini

<soapbox>
There's nothing wrong with being a lurker.  Most members of any email list are
lurkers.  There are, I think, well over a hundred people subscribed to SCA-
Cooks, most of whom never post messages.  And that's okay.  Some lurkers are
too busy to post; some are too shy; some have nothing in particular that they
want to say.

Some people -- and here I'm talking *very* generally, and not just about folks
on this list -- seem to think that if they don't post regularly, then they
shouldn't post at all.  I'm not sure, but I suspect their reasoning is, "I
haven't contributed to this list, and therefore I am not entitled to ask for
help/advice/information."  (I'm *not* saying that this necessarily applies in
this case.)

What lurkers -- especially shy lurkers -- need to understand is that asking a
question is itself a form of contribution.  It sparks a discussion, and brings
forth all kinds of interesting answers, which will probably be of benefit to
many folks, not just the original questioner.

Lurkers!  Come forth!  Ask questions!  Or... not, if you prefer.
</soapbox>

Brighid, .sigless, but pontificating over pumpkin pie in
VT

This message was sent through IDT.
http://www.idt.net/