SC - Food for the Grieving

LadyEbonSwan at aol.com LadyEbonSwan at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 11:56:51 PST 2000

     Gunther, we sympathize with your loss as well...

    Having just lost my best friend a couple of weeks ago, I just had to go
through this process as well.  Because we live next door to each other, I
stayed with his widow (my *Mother*) throughout the whole funeral arrangement
ordeal as well.  And yes, the house was packed full in a matter of hours, and
was for a week solid, till the funeral was over.
    The most popular items we had given to us were lunchmeat trays and potato
salad.  By the gallon.  I was sending food home to people as they left, to
keep from wasting it;  I felt so bad about having to throw some of it away
anyway.  Her refridgerator isn't all that big, and we wound up packing hers
AND mine full, and having more besides.
    Other than that, we had the standard fare for get-togethers in this
region, whether it be for funerals or weddings of reunions:  pierogi,
halupki, rigatoni, Italian beef, ham, baked beans,  bread stuffing, pasta
salads of every make, model and description, ditto for jello salads.
    Thing was...I couldn't get Mom to eat a morsel of it for days.  All I
could get into her was the peanut soup I always made for her in camp.  She
asked for it, so of course I went out and got the ingredients and made a
batch.  It was reasonably heavy and filling, so I didn't worry overmuch that
that was all she was eating.

    At any rate, I know what the standard fare was for Pennsylvania Dutch
houses of mourning, as well as an average farm house in this region, but not
much further back than the early 1800s....

    We'll be thinking of you....

        Siobhan MacDermott & Dunstan Halfdane