SC - Re: Welcome and Any help for the Irish? LONG

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 05:00:47 PST 2000

Subject: SC - Suet Pastry recipe request
>Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:45:50 -0000
>
>So, does anyone out there have a good recipe for suet pastry?
>Or any other pastry for making standing pies?
>
>Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
>Lucretzia

I got my pastry recipe from _Traditional Cooking_ by Caroline Conran, from
her recipe for "An English Game Pie" (since it is a British publication on
British food, your local library might even have it). I have used the pastry
several times with good results, though I must admit I have chickened out
and used a springform pan around it, as she does. Fortunately for us
Americans, she gives U.S. measures too.

Hot Water Pastry Crust

225g (8oz) Lard
275ml (1/2 pint/1C) Water
675g (1-1/2lbs) Flour
1 tsp Salt

Put the lard and water in a saucepan and bring it to the boil. Sieve the
flour and salt into a bowl and pour in the hot liquid. Mix with a wooden
spoon and when the dough is cool enough to handle,knead it well and let it
sit in a warm place, covered with a cloth, for 20-30 minutes (to rest) until
you are ready for it.

Use two-thirds of this crust to line a round 25cm (10inch) spring-clip
cake-tin, which you have greased thoroughly. Roll out the pastry to a
thickish disc and then spread it and press it into the tin so that it fits
snugly without any holes (this is vital) and leave a little hanging over the
top edge.

Now fill the pie.... (filling more complicated than I wanted to make at the
time - I find you need about 8C of filling) ....Brush the top edges of the
pastry with water. Cover with the rest of the pastry, pinching the edges
together firmly. Decorate with any trimmings and leave two (?) nice round
holes in the top to allow steam to escape.

Bake at 200C (400F), Gas Mark 6, for 30 minutes. Brush the top with an egg
beaten with a pinch of salt, then bake for 1-1/2 hours at 180C (350F), Gas
Mark 4. After 30 minutes cover loosely with kitchen foil to prevent the top
getting too brown. When it is cooked let it cool in the tin. (after it cools
she has you fill the space between filling and top crust with gelatine-rich
stock which sets as it cools)

Have you used a hot-water pastry before? It's _so_ different from any other
pastry I have made. Let me know if you would like any more particulars. I
also recommend a look at Stefan's Florilegium, particularly the article on
"Raising a Coffin or the Fine Art of Making Period Pies" by Lady Aoife Finn.
Have fun!

Morwyn

Morwyn of Wye, O.L.
Barony of Three Mountains, An Tir