SC - Re: Welcome and Any help for the Irish? LONG

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sat Feb 5 05:00:47 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/4/00 10:29:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< Hello...
    I am back again.  Last time I subscribed to this was about 3 years ago,
 and the number of posts got so overwhelming, that I had to unsubscribe
 because I couldn't keep up with the list and a new baby at the same time.
 Now I have 3 children instead of 2, and my youngest is 19 months old.  But
 I am going to try this anyway. >>

Welcome back Laurene, I too am re-subscribing after the same circumstances,
but I have came back on a few occasions since the birth of my third child. I
can empathize with you and offer my moral support!

I actually have a question for the list as I am working on a feast for the
upcoming Clancy Day Event, March 25, here in Star Leaf Gate. I am working
with a theme centred around a 12th C castle , Carrickfergus,in County Antrim
Ireland. It's in Ulster, on the North Atlantic.I'm also reflecting the
infuence of the Vikings. That's some background. Now for my feast.

As there are no extant recipes, (AFAIK), I am working with various sources,
so far :
The Icelandic Manuscript
Irish Mythology (ie, Cuchulainn, )
Druidic Religion (Samhain, Beltane etc and the traditions associated with
them)
In the process of locating the following non period (but close) sources ("The
complete confectioner, or the whole art of confecitonary made plain & easy"
by h.glasse, dublin 1742, "The Lady's asistant for regulating and supplying
her table", charlotte mason, dublin 1778 and "Cheap recipes & hints on
cookery collected for distribution amoungst the irish peasantry in 1847, by
J. Mcwater)

I have some Viking-age archeological info from digs that my apprentice sister
Ailikkn Olafsdotter, has put together in her work on "A Viking Feast"
(documentation on her Ingredients and Cooking Methods)

I would really like to find some direct info on Monastary's ( I have found
some references to a Friar John Clyn in the Annals of Ireland, ed R.Butler,
but its 14th Century)

I have put together the following menu (tentative)

Icelandic Chicken (Miscellany)
Lord's Salt with Venison (Miscellany)
Roast Leg of Pork
Eggs (hard boiled?)
Skyr with dill and pepper
Battered fish

Dulce Stew (leeks, mushrooms, butter, milk, cream, salt, pepper)
Roasted turnips (with butter, salt, pepper)
A green salad (cress, dandelion,kale) or  steamed cabbage (white and red)
with a vinagraitte using canola and cider vinegar

Barley and wheat berry frumenty
Sourdough bread
Flat bread (made with barley, whole wheat and  buckwheat flours, with flax
seeds)

Oat cakes with honeyed fruit (berry/apple)
Hazlenuts with honey & spices (from 14th Century Germany, I know, way off but
was too good to pass up as a feast)
And last but not least (and not a period recipe) a Recreation of the Castle
Carrickfergus in cake and as large as I can muster.

I am looking for some input and suggestions, especially in the area of
finding additional research material and recipes for the cake (I hope to find
something even late period that will work for the building and the icing).

Any ideas?

Hauviette