SC - Ukrainian Easter Eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Feb 8 23:39:08 PST 2000

A question from a newbie cook.

This last saturday I roasted two ducks for the Royalty Luncheon I did.
After cutting off the breast meat, other meat and the legs for the
serving platter I was left with two duck carcasses.

Not wanting to waste them and wanting to try creating a broth using
them I brought them home. They have been stewing away in my dutch
oven for several hours now. There was more meat left on the bones
than I expected. I was originally thinking I would just strain out
the bones and meat and gristle and leave the broth and freeze that.

However, now I'm thinking it would be a shame to waste all those
pieces of duck meat. What is the best way to strain out the bones
and gristle leaving the flesh? While I have just spent some time
picking out the bones, I may not have gotten all of them and the
gristle would be particularly difficult to seperate. Ideas? How
do you all do this?

What would you do to turn this broth/duck meat into a soup? Either
period or non-period ideas would be appreciated. Would you do something
else other than a soup?

How far would you boil this base down? I've had to keep adding water
to the pot.

Thanks.
  Stefan
- --