SC - Buckwheat is Old World

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 18 04:48:21 PST 2000

> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > This doesn't include doing things like not buying beets because you thought
> > they were turnips, like I did a few weeks ago. I determined they weren't
> > turnips at home when I cut one open and it was quite red. :-)
>
> Maybe it was one of those beets like I found last fall- red top,
> blending to deep gold on the outside, a beautiful orange-red inside.
> They were a gift- I didn't get any myself, but they looked yummy...
>
> 'Lainie

Nope. Kind of  a rough texture, greyish-brown in color.Dark red
inside.

I'm even less fond of beets than I am of turnips. I went back to the
store later and got turnips. Different store - better labels.

The turnips went into the compost/compote which went over fairly
well at my Crown Luncheon. I still have about half a crock full
though. I did take it to a recent family dinner where some folks
liked it. Since it is a pickled food item, it should still be good
for a while.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net