SC - selecting fruits and vegetables

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 18 05:04:37 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I'm even less fond of beets than I am of turnips. I went back to the
> store later and got turnips. Different store - better labels.
>
> The turnips went into the compost/compote which went over fairly
> well at my Crown Luncheon. I still have about half a crock full
> though. I did take it to a recent family dinner where some folks
> liked it. Since it is a pickled food item, it should still be good
> for a while.

Rotrude and I really like raw turnips, cut up and eaten with or without
dip, like any other vegetable on the tray. But we all (even the
13-year-old Mr. Finicky) like Armoured Turnips, and I like to use
turnips in the Rapes in Potage recipe...

I'm discovered that if you have trouble with 'bitterness' in turnips, it
helps if you parboil them a little first.

'Lainie