SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Feb 20 21:30:06 PST 2000

> Pork would have been hard to come by in the Holy Land as neither the
> Moslems or the Jews were allowed to eat it. The Franks would have had to
> bring it with them.
>
> Dan Cushenan Cameron wrote:

Wouldn't the Jewish and Moslem prohibition about pork made it even _more_
available?  At least if you were willing to go and hunt it down yourself?
The very prohibition shows that pigs existed in the region.  Wild boar
didn't just disappear from the landscape because two religious sects didn't
like them, and there have always been non-Moslem/non-Jewish peoples in this
same region who probably thought "Fine, more for the rest of us!" :-) when
it came to pork.

On another note, when I was in Germany some friends arranged a real boar
hunt in Turkey.  The critters were a menace and the numbers had to be kept
down somehow.

Regina Romsey>