SC - Oven temperatures

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 19:06:08 PST 2000

<< Doesn't  4 Seasons of the House of Cerruti say something about
radishes? >>

Yes, there is a page on "Rafani" with a picture and the abbreviated text
from the Tacuin sanitatis. In short: it is very warm and dry in nature,
dangerous in several respects ("Was sie erzeugen: schlechte Säfte" 'what
they produce: bad humours'), to be eaten mostly by people with a cold
and humid complexion, in winter, and people living in northern, cold
countries.

I hope, everybody out there knows about her or his humoral complexion...

<< I am looking for a reference to radishes being period. I am currently
preparing (...) Could someone suggest a book or web site or just a
bibliography type reference that mentions radishes >>

There are many dietetic and medical works to mention "raphanus",
"radish", "Rettich" etc., for example:
- -- Giovanni Battista Fiera's "Coena. Delle virtù delle erbe e quella
parte dell'Arte medica che consiste nella regola del vitto" (1530; repr.
and ed. Mantova 1992, 79 and 133),
- -- Andrew Borde's 'Dyetary of Helth' (16th century, ed. Furnivall 1870,
p. 279),
- -- the 15th century cookbook and dietetic work of Meister Eberhard (on
my website; R96:2),
- -- Luis Lobera de Avila has a section about it (chapter XLII. of the
16th century German translation, I found recently!),
- -- etc.

There is also a 1530 dental handbook stating that eating "Rettich" is
dangerous for the teeth. And a 13th century horse book uses "retich" in
a medical recipe for sick horses ("Swelich ros ain siechs havpt hab ...
der nem retich, wol gederret ...", ed. Gerhard Eis, Meister Albrants
Roßarzneibuch, 1939, 111:5). An appendix to a 1560 German cookery book
has a medical recipe for frozen feet to be cured using "Rettich" ("Wann
einem die füß erfroren sindt") ...

In addition, "radici" 'ravanelli' 'radishes' are mentioned in Giovanna
Frosini's "Il cibo e i signori. La mensa dei priori di Firenze nel
quinto decennio del sec. XIV" (Firenze 1993, 118), a lexicographical
book about the culinary vocabulary of an Italian 14th century manuscript
of expenses. I take it from this, that radishes were bought and eaten
around 1350 in Florenze.

The historical dictionaries of German have _many_ citations for
"Rettich".

Best,
Thomas