SC - Re: Lovage

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 19:10:53 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/21/00 12:53:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DianaFiona at aol.com writes:

<< Hummmm--I seem to recall that germination is improved by a period of
 cold, from the last time I was trying to find space to plant some. Or am I
 confusing my plants again? >>

Possibly. :-) I place most of my seeds in the freezer or refrigerator  for a
week or so depending on the seed as a matter of course. I also start almost
all my seed in flats instead of the ground which allows for temperature,
humidity and light control.

If, all things being equal, a plant simply will not grow well in a spot it is
supposed to do well in, a soil test is always in order and then remedial
addition of fertilizers, lime, organic matter or whatever is indicated
usually solves the problem. Soil test kits are available at any gardening
center inexpensively or you can get a test done at your local agricultural
extension office for a reasonable fee.

Raised beds with lots of organic matter are the best way to grow kitchen
garden plants and are medieval.

Gardening is fun but it is much more than scratching in the earth and sowing
a few seeds. :-)

Ras