SC - Pork or Boar in the TREES!

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Feb 22 23:40:35 PST 2000

>In a message dated 2/22/00 4:33:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>Chris.Adler at westgroup.com writes:
>
><< I can't think of any use for the skin. Maybe someone else can. >>
>
>Broth. I always use the skin, fat and bones to make broth. It DOES have a lot
>of flavor and it would be a real shame to throw it away. Simply boil it for a
>long time strain, put the broth to cool in the frig and lift off the
>congealed fat which is called 'schmaltz' and is itself very tasty when used
>as a lard substitute.
>
>Ras

Skin? Into the broth. Always into the broth.

And don't forget to add the feet.

No kidding. Back in the late 1960's when all i'd ever cooked was
Minute Rice, i moved into my first apartment. I decided i'd make
chicken soup, which i'd never made, although i'd seen my mother (who
hates touching or even seeing skin, fat, bones, or any other body
parts) make some.

So i went to the nice Kosher butcher (this was in NYC) and told him
what i wanted to do. And when i got home, there were two yellow feet.
What did i know? And quite a surprise to someone who'd grown up in
sanitized suburbia.

So i put 'em in the stock pot with the other parts, including heart
and gizzards (which i'd also never seen before), some salt and fresh
parsley, carrots, celery (with leaves left on), and maybe a bay leaf
or two.

The moral is:  Don't forget the feet.

And you can skim out the fat and use it in your matzoh balls or any
other dumplings, spaetzl, et cetera.

Anahita al-shazhiya
(who may become A'isha al-shazhiya etc., but will remain Anahita to
her friends)