SC - Suggestions for a mushroom dish?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 23 20:58:02 PST 2000

N. Kopchevsky asked:
> I was just wondering what the best foods to bring to War were, in everyone's
> opinion. Would dry foods work out best? Did bringing regular food that
> required lots of clean=-up work out well? Any horror stories? Successes?

What is "best" is going to depend on your situation. Do you wish to
spend a
minimum time cooking? Minimum time cooking at the war but willing to spend
time cooking ahead of time? Willing to use ice chests to keep things cold
or wish to use only period preservation techniques such as salting and
pickling?

You might want to take a look at some of the files in the FOOD section
of my Florilegium such as:
campfood-msg      (84K)  3/ 3/99    Non-refrig., period food for camping events.
canning-msg       (32K) 11/11/98    Use of canning in the SCA. Directions.
cook-ovr-fire-msg (38K) 12/20/99    Cooking over open fires. Outdoor feasts.
drying-foods-msg  (35K)  8/24/99    Drying foods in period and for the SCA.
meat-pies-msg     (98K) 12/30/99    Period meat pies. Recipes.
pickled-food-msg (105K) 12/17/99    Medieval pickled food. recipes.
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (11K) 12/17/99    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.
stews-bruets-msg  (55K) 12/ 2/99    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

I hope these give you some ideas.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net