SC - Oven temperatures

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Feb 23 21:00:59 PST 2000

Ras,

> I don't think we know whether they did or did not serve pickled nibbles at
>
> taverns. What we do know is that, based on extant recipes, they most
> likely
> did not include recipes for pickled nibbles in the books written for
> wealthy
> and noble households to use at feasts. Thoseare the books we have access
> to.
> We don't have any books containing recipes specifically geared toward
> taverns.

Thank you.  This is a nicely concise summary of the information available in
cookbooks of the period.  However, has anyone in other reading seen a
reference to tavern food?  A mention in a travel diary, did Shakespeare (or
earlier playwright/poets) have anything disparaging to say about food in
taverns?

At this stage I am only limiting my area of interest to late period West
European taverns as that is the style of alcohol my lord brews and I would
like to complement the food if possible.

Regards
	Meliora.