SC - Apicius in Ireland? and ham ideas?

Wajdi a14h at zebra.net
Fri Feb 25 06:13:46 PST 2000

An inexpensive camp stove can be made from a tuna fish can, corrugated cardboard and
parrafin wax.  Empty the can, and cut the cardboard in strips slightly less wide
than the depth of the can.  Roll the strips and put in the can.  Pour wax onto the
rolled cardboard.  When you're ready to cook, put 3 tentpegs into the ground in a
triangle pattern to support the pot or pan you're going to use, but make sure
there's about an inch of clearance between the top of the tuna can and the bottom of
the pot.  Be prepared for a lot of sooty buildup on the bottom of the pot; I rub
liquid soap mine, which made washing the soot off a lot easier.  I used these when
backpacking when I was in college.  When you want to 'turn off' the stove, smother
it with something flat.  This is why you don't want the rolled cardboard projecting
over the lip of the can.  Yet another use for wax; other than canning and making
leather armor.  They also make neat looking torches, although I use bean cans for
the torches to get longer burn times.

wajdi