SC - No Period Feasts Allowed?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 26 22:27:16 PST 2000

Seumas said:
>An alternative might be to plan a 'demo' table at larger events,
>organized and staffed by several cooks working together. Make several
>dishes, set them on the table, and offer free tastes to passers-by. Have
>the documentation and recipies/redactions handy. The targets I would be
>after are the people who wouldn't pay money for a 'period' feast, but
>would take a free sample if it's made available to them. And since
>they're not paying money for a meal, their expectations may be less
>demanding than if they've already offered up US$4-8 for a meal. Put
>primarily, the target are the people who _don't_ go to period feasts.

This sounds like a great idea!

Sort of the inverse of those tables in supermarkets where they try to
get you to taste some new gluey over-processed over-priced product.

Part of the trick would be location, location, location - and, of
course, getting the word out.

I wish i knew more historic cooks in my area (i'm sure they're out
there, i'm just too new). Maybe i can make contact with some at the
Spring Collegium (except i'm going to try to take the intensive
Arabic class that's being offered and it's an all-day thing) I
managed to wave at one last year, unfortunately i couldn't take her
class.

Hey, any West Kingdomers or Mists Principalitiers here who'd like to
try something along these lines?

Hey, wait a minute, Seamus. You're in An Tir, right? And there's the
West/An Tir War Fourth of July weekend. I'm planning to be there. Is
that a possibility? How about it?

Anahita al-shazhiyya