SC - Re: Distress in Trimaris

Joan Nicholson gryphon at carlsbadnm.com
Mon Feb 28 17:45:36 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/28/2000 9:29:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ChannonM at aol.com writes:

<< We do have to be reasonable for our children, although I wish we would
serve
 something similar but cooked fresh, like home made chicken nuggets, fries
and
 burgers. >>

But not all kids have the problem yours do.  My youngest household sister is
4 years old, and she eats like a horse at feasts.  Usually, if offered a
"children's feast", she declines in favor of the real one.  But then again,
Mommy routinely cooks period meals at home, sometimes even in the fireplace!

And there are certainly period foods which would be recognizable to children
and likely to be eaten - Mac and Cheese being one, fried cheese sticks
another (although I might leave the wine out of the batter if cooking that
one for kids), various ways to do chiken cut in small pieces, but using a
period sauce, etc.  Possible even certain sausages that could pass for hot
dogs.

I think part of the problem is that medieval food is unusual only in the
sense that the only time they eat it is at events.  If it was a routine part
of eating at hime as well, it might not be such an struggle to get them to
eat it.

Brangwayna Morgan