SC - Freezing Bread Dough

Suzanne Powell scpowell at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 29 08:47:44 PST 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie
I've been following this thread with some interest...we are fortunate here
in Madrone/An Tir in that we have had a fairly good track record with
period feasts...people dont care so much as long as its good food, and that
seems to be the rule rather than the exception around here. Cooks are into
doing period food, so that's what people get.

I think its important to remember that no where in the founding documents
of the SCA does it say anything about food. All it says is that we need to
make an attempt at pre-17th century dress. No mention of food, tents,
music, dance, nuthin.

Now, some of us want to do more than just pin on a couple towels over our
tshirts and jeans, but there's nothing in the rules that say we HAVE to.

I would not dare to speak for her Highness of Trimaris, but I'm betting
since her favorite foods are very modern (tang, potoatoes and tomatoes)
she's trying to make sure she doesnt have to eat "wierd" stuff.

Now, you and I know that theres no such thing as bad medieval food, only
bad medieval cooks. But its easier to say "dont serve me this" than to say
"no bad cooks!". I have been amazed at the cooks I've run across in my
years....not pretesting, not aware of the concepts of bulking up recipes
for crowds, lack of kitchen hygeine, buying shoddy ingredients becuase it
was cheap, lack of menu design, etc. The end result is nasty food, whether
its medieval or not.

I am not saying that such cooks are any more rampant in Trimaris than
anywhere else....we even have them here in An Tir. :). But rather than run
her Highness out on a rail for voicing her preferences (albeit in perhaps
not the most wellconsidered way...), vote with your feet. Only buy tickets
to feasts that sound good, prepared by people you know will do a good job.
And if period food is important to you, only pick the feasts that are
period (which is what I do...I tend to find a lot of interesting ethnic
restaurants in town that way :)). If there's an outboard option, bring your
own medieval feast (I've done this too, much to the salivationary jealousy
of the other diners!) If asked, dont dis the queen...simply explain that
period food is important to you, and so you brought your own rather than
inconvenience others.

We all cook for different reasons. Some of us cook to show off. If this is
the case, tailor your menu to suit. (dont get me wrong...showing off is a
fine motivation. I do it myself sometimes). Some of us cook becuase we have
that maternal rush when our friends eat food we prepapred. Some of us find
the joy in the research, and the feast preparation is secndary. Decide why
YOU cook and address that goal.

just my opinion....
- --Anne-Marie