SC - Re: New World Foods: Rant/ Counter Rant (Long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 13 08:34:34 PST 2000

"Decker, Terry D." wrote:

> Raw potato helps remove excess salt from a soup or a stew when you've been a
> little heavy handed with the salt shaker.  One period technique to do the
> same is to hang a bag of oatmeal in the soup or stew.
>
> Neither technique is designed to handle the quantity of salt found in salt
> preserved foods.
>
> Bear

I think perhaps it could, but the thing is that it works when the food
is being cooked, not when it is soaked. Gelatinizing starch expands, and
it seems to suck up more liquid, and salt, in the process. I can't
imagine a raw potato going into the soaking water and absorbing much
salt. Perhaps in the case of foods with a lot of salt that also require
long cooking, like some Virgina ham dishes, perhaps, it might work. I
think with salt cod it would require enough cooking to ruin the fish.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com