SC - Re: New World Foods: Rant/ Counter Rant (Long)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 21:30:39 PST 2000

- --- RANDALL DIAMOND <ringofkings at mindspring.com>
wrote:
> Heutte in Caid wrote:
> >I did a Twelfth Night feast several years ago
> >and I served chicken and duck for the first course,
> >lamb and oxtail for the second course and salmon
> for
> >the third course.  The salmon I purchased for $1
> per
> >pound in Sept. when it was salmon season.  I
> purchased
> >the lamb and oxtail in Oct. for about $1.50 per
> pound.
> >The duck and chicken were purchased in Dec. at
> $1.25
> >and .50 per pound respectively.  All were held in
> the
> >freezer until I was ready to start cooking.  I
> charged
> >$12 for the feast, which included the hall rental
> in
> >the price, and I made a profit.  If you know how to
> >manage a feast properly, then no baronial or
> kingdom
> >coffers get depleted and no one leaves the table
> >hungry.
>
> My Lady, I do know how to manage a feast, but the
> prices
> you pay are absurdly low even for sale items in
> Tennessee
> and probably the rest of mid-America.

You have my sympathies.  I was totally unaware that
the rest of the US doesn't pay the same prices that we
pay here in California.

The prices that I quoted were not the everyday prices,
but the special prices that ordinary supermarkets
offer from time to time.  They were not wholesale
prices, they were not slaughterhouse prices, but
prices from Ralphs, Vons and Lucky's chain
supermarkets.

>From your messages and your price list and wage list,
I guess I will never move to Meridies.  You have
convinced me that California is truly a paradise.  We
have good weather year 'round, good wages and
inexpensive food.  Just don't try buying a house here.

Huette