SC - Spinach (recipe)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Feb 21 15:55:53 PST 2000

I "redacted" this recipe for dinner tonight.  (I use the quotation marks,
because it's so simple, it really needs no interpretation.)

Source: Diego Granado, _Libro del Arte de Cozina_ (Spanish, 1599)
Translation and redaction: Lady Brighid ni Chiarain (Robin Carroll-Mann)

PARA HAZER ESCUDILLA DE ESPINACAS -- To make a dish of
spinach

Take spinach in the Spring, and wash them with many changes of
water, taking the most tender part, and fry them with oil, or with cow's
butter, or poultry fat.  Afterwards, finish cooking them with poultry broth,
and dried plums, and serve them hot with their broth.

1 10-oz bag of fresh spinach leaves, stems trimmed
1 tsp. olive oil
2 oz. pitted prunes, chopped
1 cup chicken broth

Wash the spinach well.  Fry it in the oil until wilted, then add broth and
prunes.  Simmer until spinach is tender.

Notes: I confess that I didn't bother to trim the stems; I just cooked the
spinach a little longer.  The prunes added a wonderful note of sweetness
to the dish.  De Nola has a similar recipe, in which he recommends
adding raisins.

Unfortunately, I suspect that many SCAdians would look at a feast
menu, see "spinach and prunes" and run screaming into the night.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net