SC - Spinach (recipe)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Feb 21 15:55:53 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/21/00 5:26:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< Aha!  So _that's_ the name of that plant that someone gave me two years
ago!
 It's growing outside my window and I couldn't remember what it's name was,
 except that it was culinary.  Haven't used any...  Chicken soup, perhaps?

 Alys Katharine, a non-cooking cook
 re's always extra to tempt
 those that still 'cook' out of tins.

Here is some work that I did on Lovage and a recipe that was passed on to me
from a lady on the Apicius list,

LOVAGE ( ligusticum levisticum)
Lovage was used extensively in Apician recipes and provided a significant
flavour to the overall taste of the foods it was used with. I have grown
lovage (levisticum officianalis) in my back yard for the express purposes of
my work with Roman recipes. I have since used it in different capacities.
Attached is a small packet of  seeds from my garden, please put them to good
use. I hope the following information is valuable to anyone wishing to do so.

Do they(lovage plants)  need sun, partial sun?lots of water? well drained
soil?
Here’s what I found:
I planted the lovage from a plant that I purchased at the local nursery. That
was a two years ago. It was originally planted on a West facing fence, with
little or no water given other than what came it’s way by nature.Last year I
moved the plant and divided it (it is perennial) and planted one part on
another West wall and the other a few feet away in full sun. I always
supplement my soil with lots of compost and peat moss, so I can’t tell if
that has anything to do with it. The plant didn’t flower the first year and I
just cut it back in the fall  and harvest and dried whatever was there. This
year the plant has taken off and is probably 3-4 feet high with large
umbelliferous flowers. I had no idea how big it would become, so beware it is
large.
Some info I dug up in my herbal books (if you don’t already have one or two,
it can be very helpful to understand the herb) talks about different aspects
of the plant so here it is :
pungent, clump forming herbacaceous perennial with rhizomatous roots and
stout hollow ridged stems up to 2.4 m / 8ft.
Cultivation: mature plants are large and bulky and need plenty of room in
deep rich moist soil, preferably in shade. Sow in spring outdoors in a
seedbed or under glassp, or divide roots in autumn or spring. Cut back once
or twice during summer if a continuous supply of young leaves is needed.
Parts used:young leaves, avoiding the central flower stem, hollow main stems
before flowering, roots of 2-3 yr old plants dug in autumn , s liced &
dried, ripe seeds.
Constituents: Volatile oil, isovaleric acid, angelic acid, coumarins, gum,
resin
Main uses: Culinary leaves in stews and soups, with fish and jam, seeds in
breads and savouries.
Lovage is an aromatic stimulant and a warming digestive tonic similar to
angelica. Lovage cordial is an old country drink used to settle the stomach
and ease the digestion. In hot infusion, lovage is sweat-inducing. It also
has  diuretic properties but should be avoided in kidney disease due to it’s
irritant effect. I also promotes the onset of menstruation. The phthalides in
the volatile oil have been reported to be sedative in mice.
The seeds, leaves , and stems of lovage have a strong celery like flavour,
which goes well with many foods, especially vegetarian dishes based on rice
or nuts.

CAUTION: Lovage should not be used during prgnancy or kidney disease.

The complete book of Herbs-Andi Clevely and Katherine Richmond
The complete New Herbal- Richard Mabey
I hope that the above information is helpfull.

Hauviette

Here are some recipes that will definintely be!!
Lovage Soup
4 Tbsp olive oil
4 slices stale bread
1 bunch of lovage leaves, chopped
1 clove garlic chopped
½ small bund of parlsey, chopped
3 oz butter
2 pints good chicken stock
2 whole eggs and 1 yolk

Pour the olive oil over the bread and grill until brown. Sweat the lovage,
garlic, and parsley in butter until wilted. Pour on the stockand simmer for 2
mins. Beat the eggs with the salt and pepper. Place one slice of bread in
each warmed bowl. Bring the soup ot hte boil and slowly pour in the egg,
stirring gently with a wooden spoon, so that it separates into strands Season
to taste and serve.
Alternatives; replace the lovage with basil, add 2oz of parmesan cheese to
the beaten eggs. or use spinach sorrel or nettle simmered for a few extra
minutes.
In addition here is a recipe sent to me by Hilary, from the Apicius list for
candied lovage stems. I have yet to try it but can’t resist putting this in.

>From the Apicius at onelist.com, Hilary Cool writes;
I’m not sure if candying lovage stems will be of wide interest to the rest of
the list so I thought I’d reply off list.
Lovage has a section in Sophie Grigson’s Herbs published by the BBC earlier
this year. (An excellent book which accompanied a cookery programme).  She
says the young stems ‘make a rather good, if unusual, sweetmeat, candied as
you would angelica’ .  she also says the addition of lovage leaves to a
carrot and potato soup is a good idea, but it hasn’t really been soup weather
since I got the book so I’ve not tried it. Perhaps in the autumn.  This is
her recipe for candying angelica.
Cut tender young angelica stems in 10cm lengths.
Make a brine with 8g salt to each 2.3 litres water (1/4 oz to 4 pints).
Bring to boil and pour over the angelica. Leave for 15 minutes, drain.
Blanch the angelica in fresh boiling water for 5-10 minutes. Drain.
Peel away any tough outer skins from the stems.
Weigh the angelica and weigh out an equal amount of sugar.
Layer the sugar and angelica in a saucepan. Cover and leave for 1.2 days
until the sugar has turned to syrup.
Add just enough water to cover the angelica.  Bring gently to the boil and
simmer quietly until the angelica is clear and the syrup reduced to a clear
goo.
Leave the angelica to dry on on a wire rack in an airing cupboard for a
couple of days.
Store in an airtight container