SC - Public Consumption [Was Distress in Trimaris]

margali margali at 99main.com
Sun Feb 27 11:32:06 PST 2000

I like the idea. I am planning on [whimper] volunteering to do the 10th
anniversary feast of our cantons main annual event in sept 2001, and [of
course] doing a period feast taken out of the appendices of 1000 eggs
[only one course from the wedding feast for the lesser nobles] and I
might just have an A&S display/contest and make sure that there is a
cooks table specifically! It has been too long since there was a good
A&S display/contest at a Dragon's Flight!.

On the other hand, more period foods are being served there, and at one
of them I made a vegan that showed up a nice imam baayadi instead of the
homegrown lamb and chicken my farm provided...
margali

An alternative might be to plan a 'demo' table at larger events,
organized and staffed by several cooks working together. Make several
dishes, set them on the table, and offer free tastes to passers-by. Have
the documentation and recipies/redactions handy. The targets I would be
after are the people who wouldn't pay money for a 'period' feast, but
would take a free sample if it's made available to them. And since
they're not paying money for a meal, their expectations may be less
demanding than if they've already offered up US$4-8 for a meal. Put
primarily, the target are the people who _don't_ go to period feasts. It
might be because they can't afford it, or because they presume the food
will be bad, and therefor not worth the money, but either way, they're
not going to taste good historical cookery if they never go to a feast
in the first place.