SC -A Nautical Feast or a Sailors best meat I mean mate

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Fri Feb 11 06:40:14 PST 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

we are told:
>> This could be a fun event.  Wish I had access to cheap seafood.
>
>Well, you may have meant this as a joke, but I think this idea has merit.
>It would give a basis for an event with a seafaring theme. It will be
>joining the other event ideas in my event-ideas-msg file.
>
>I do have a number of files that might be of use to anyone thinking about
>doing such an event. Everything from fish and seafood recipes to a
>number of files on seamanship and medieval ships.

would medieval people have viewed seafood in the same drooly wonder that we
moderns do? I know it is relegated to fish day menus, and I seem to
remember someone telling me once (ohh! dont you just LOVE that kind of
documentation! :)) that crab and lobster were poor mans food for a long
time. Certainly in medieval sources (not later ones so much), the number of
shellfish recipes is WAY outweighed by the number of meat recipes, and even
fish recipes.

Also, I know around here, we are loathe to serve fish unless its salmon or
prawns, for we are told that "no one eats it" (then why, I would ask, do we
never get any back?)

I've always wanted to do a Lenten feast, but have been told that the masses
would not think it as cool as I do :).

I would love to hear what other parts of the country think!
- --AM