SC - Carrot candy

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Feb 15 19:25:31 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 14 Feb 00,, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> How about calling it by the original name? Most folks would accept that
> and those that ask for a translation can be told that the name means
> 'Grated Carrot.' Many dishes have kept the original name without
> translation. So I see this as the obvious thing to do.

On a menu for a feast or documentation for a competition, I would
certainly do so.  However, if I hold out a plate to someone at an event
and say, "Zanahoria rallada, m'lord?" I am almost certain to get blank
looks.  (As it was, I had to assure several people that "sweetmeats" did
not contain animal flesh.)  Keep in mind that this is a foodstuff whose
basic nature is not apparent at a glance in a candlelit hall.  They're little
orange-brown squares with white specks.  They might be almost
*anything*.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann