SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1873

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Sun Feb 6 08:55:57 PST 2000

owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< I assume you realize that the recipe collection in the Icelandic
 Medical Miscellany (source of Icelandic Chicken and Lord's Salt,
 among other things) is not actually Icelandic. >>

Yes, I was aware of it's age (15th C based on a lost 13th C manuscript?), but
I was hoping to infere to some degree that if they were using these recipes
in Iceland that they may have been used in northern climes such as Ireland
(what a stretch!). I am working with the idea that the 12th Century was not
the spice frenzy of the 14th C, and may have lacked the spectacular fan fare
of stuffed peacocks, but that the feasts were verging on that idea, almost a
"renaissance" of food. This is just my interpretation, based on impressions
I've had from the stories of the Irish legends and the enormity of their
feasts that are  described. Lots of large pieces of roasted and boiled meat
are mentioned frequently. As for the spice issue, although the silk road
hadn't been established yet, I believe there was some availablity of spices
originally through the Frisians and then the Vikings, along the Rhine.

Thank you for the other suggestions, I have the Miscellany, so I'll work with
that recipe. I have work to do!

Hauviette