SC - Standard recipe (was Crab Rangoon)-OOP

CONNECT@aol.com CONNECT at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 08:48:56 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/1/00 8:50:25 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< This seems pretty much a standard formula with very minor variations
 among the different recipes. >>

A standard formula to those who are aware of its existence. Of the 5 local
businesses that serve a more or sometimes less accurate version of Chinese
cuisine NONE list this item on their menu.

I am thinking that what may be 'standard' to some is, in fact, a source of
curiosity to others. For instance, locally many people call an egg noodle and
chicken combination 'chicken pot pie.' Sixty-three miles north where I was
raised this is known as 'chicken and noodles' with 'chicken pot pie' being an
actual chicken stew enclosed in a pastry.

Barring the fact that some folks simply don't have web access to instantly
flit about the web and view a recipe, there seems to be an interesting issue
of what the definition of a 'standard' recipe is. After reading your post, I
searched through several of my cookbooks that I have always thought of as
'standard' and found nothing listed by the name 'Crab Rangoon.' I did,
however, find an almost exact recipe under the name 'Crab Bundles' in a book
about Hors d'oeuvres.

Given the above, it appears to me that although certain combinations of
ingredients and cooking methods might be defined as 'standard recipes', I
find little evidence that there is any standardization regarding the names
for those combinations.

Thoughts?

Ras