SC - Re: Wafers

Schumacher, Deborah (AZ15) Deborah.Schumacher at iac.honeywell.com
Fri Jan 7 05:41:46 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> > Yes, which is presumably part of why they become more rigid as they cool.
>
> The sugar is the reason the wafers harden as they cool? Why is this? Is
> the sugar softer or liquid when they come off the iron? Or is there
> something else taking place that I'm not aware of?

Probably moisture in the form of steam, which is more easily and quickly
released from a hot wafer once it's been removed from the iron, and
sugar, which is generally more fluid when warm than when cold, are the
main issues. You know how honey will run almost like water when it's
heated? Sugar, even in solid form at the start, will melt or at least
soften when hot. There may be a gluten thing happening too, whereby
proteins coagulate when hot, but then get still firmer when cold, which
many of us with children will experience over our (or our children's)
morning egg. For that matter, most wafers also contain egg, which has
proteins of its own in addition to gluten.

There are probably other factors as well, but _in general_ cooked doughs
reach maximum firmness when fresh, but cooled after cooking. I'm not
just referring to dessication or staleness.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com