SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 17 10:35:23 PST 2000

Stephen queried:
> Isn't this more of a "sop" than "French Toast"? I thought French
> Toast meant dipping the bread in an egg mixture?

It is a sop, but as far as I know, this is the first time the term
'French Toast' appeared in print in English.  I have not seen any French
texts that might have a similar dish, which May simply recorded as a dish
from France.  (?)
It sure was tasty, though, and of the 5 dishes I did, the first one
(Paynfoundew) and this one were without eggs.

>If not, then what differentiates a sop from French Toast? The use of a
>sweetener?

	Good question.  Perhaps the use of wine and a sweetener together, as
both of these recipes have those elements (wine with raisins, wine with
sugar and oj)
Christianna