SC - Okay, my life just got interesting...

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jan 17 18:01:12 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/17/00 6:34:30 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<< Nice job on the rendering, though, Mistress Christianna! But did the
 cracklin's go into the French Toast? >>

I understand your humor here but this is exactly why I feel that special
'jargon,' as you put it, is not only necessary but desirable when a group of
enthusiast are discussing their specific enthusiasm. New people will learn
the terms and the terms are specific when used within the discipline they are
being applied to.

And I am in complete disagreement that 'redaction' is inappropriate or
'nonspecific' in the way we use it. Certainly, it is inaccurate if you pull
out any single meaning as they are currently found in the dictionary but when
viewed in the total concept it is very accurate and correct. Within the field
of cookery there is no need to find a period term for either the formatting
of period recipe into a modern style or for a kitchen steward since neither
activities were done by anyone in the middle ages so far as I know.

As I stated in a previous post, the word 'redaction' has been used by enough
people for a sufficient amount of time to mean what we do to period recipes
that a far better course would be to point out to the writers of dictionaries
their error of omission in not documenting this usage of the word. Arguments
for 'purity' of language are, IMO, totally irrelevant. How many people use
the word 'nice' or 'fool' in their original meanings?

Redaction is a fine word for what we do and I, for one will continue to use
it.

Ras