SC - Period French Toast Recipies

Hupman, Laurie LHupman at kenyon.com
Tue Jan 18 10:32:13 PST 2000

Aldyth at aol.com wrote:

> Greetings all.  Last evening at cooks guild, we came across recipes that
> mentioned "farcing", or "farced."  What does that mean, and when did it begin
> to be used?

To farce is to force, as in forcemeat; to stuff. Forcemeat and farsure
are both stuffing. A circular definition, but, I believe, accurate. In
English you find references to farsure (as in, "& do this fassure
wythin") in the 14th-century recipe corpus; it may be older still. Balls
of meaty stuffing are known, by extension and oh so amusingly, as farts.
Phililogy and etymology are stranger than fiction.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com