SC - Okay, my life just got interesting...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Jan 19 19:07:33 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/19/00 6:16:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, cclark at vicon.net
writes:

<< The fact remains that calling these things redactions instead of
renderings,
 interpretations, or adaptations, implies a false claim as to the validity of
 one's interpretation of a recipe. >>

It is just as ridiculous to NOT assume that redactions are accurate.

<<Almost all so-called "redactions" that I have seen on this list have added
(and sometimes even omitted) significant information, rather than merely
restating in a different format the information that was already there.>>

Apparently you have not read the redactions presented by those of us who are
careful with accuracy. A quick glance at my personal files reveals only one
recipe of my own which could be questionable and that has since been
'corrected.' Master A, Dame Alys, Bonne, and several others are also very
accurate in their redacting. Your argument of 'inaccuracies' appears to loose
validity when the main body of serious SCA cook's recipes are viewed as a
unit.

<<Yet some of us call these "redactions,"  implying that while the form (or
medium) was changed, the content is practically the same as it was in the
previous form. >>

Some of us mistakenly call early modern food 'medieval' also. People are
people. Mistakes are made. Education in period cookery and proper redaction
is the key to correcting the mistakes not comparing modern usage with usage
that may or may not have been 'excepted in the '50s or, for that matter using
terms which are in and of themselves just as misleading and inaccurate as you
appear to think 'redaction' is.

<<Is this honest? >>

If a person does their best to accurately translate and put a period recipe
into a modern form, yes. If mistakes are unwittingly made then it is simply a
mistake not dishonesty. once the mistake is noticed the person can be
corrected.

Ras